Thursday, March 24, 2011

Turkey Gravy

I've never really made gravy before, so I had no idea how one would make the excellent turkey gravy that typically accompanies the turkey and mashed potatoes. Fortunately, Dad was willing to contribute, so this comes straight from Dad!

Turkey Gravy from Dad

It isn't a recipe so much as it is a method. I collect all of the juices from the pan in which the turkey was roasted and let them set until the grease has separated and risen to the top. I measure and use one tablespoon of flour for every tablespoon of grease. For every cup of gravy I want to make I use one cup of the drippings from which the grease has been removed and add to it one tablespoon of grease and flour for a thin gravy, or two tablespoons of grease and flour for a medium gravy, or three tablespoons of grease and flour for a thick gravy. I make sure the grease and flour are well dissolved in the drippings before I heat the mixture to boiling. The gravy will thicken when boiled so boil it for a minute or so and then add the chopped giblets and boil for another minute or so.

If there aren't enough drippings to make the amount of gravy you desire you can add potato water to the drippings until you have the volume you desire. If you are short of grease you can add butter, but keep the ratios of grease/butter, flour, and drippings/potato water the same.

You can use corn starch instead of flour but use about half as much corn starch as flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment